[FFmpeg-devel] Sovereign Tech Fund

Jonatas L. Nogueira jesusalva at spi-inc.org
Sun Jan 28 21:20:32 EET 2024

That's not a problem at all; because you can divide the work into discrete
pieces after it's done (on the invoice), just like liberal professionals
(eg. accountants, lawyers, administrators, etc.)

The SOW defines what is acceptable on the invoice (so in the YUVJ case, for
example, it could be "code related to YUVJ implementation and bugs arising
of it, as well as review of the PRs/MRs associated with it, but not tagging
issue tickets, duplicated work or code formatting" — I have no idea, this
is just for inspiration), as well as the timeframes by when they should
submit the invoices (and if they need to submit any other proof of their
work, what and when). It should also define how payment works (typically by
hour or by code line, there's some leeway here though), what's the maximum
budget (specially if the metric is exploitable), the value of which unit of
work (defined before) which must not be above the market price.

Contributors are not employees, they don't need to login at 8 and logout at
17 for a fixed wage. In fact, they might not do anything and thus no money
be due to them at all. That's why we make a SOW, it makes clear what they
can do, how much they can earn, what will not be paid (usually unrelated
work) even if they do, and by when they should submit invoices and
evidences of the work they did to receive payment.

Do say if there are still questions, I'll be happy to answer and help here.

Regards,

Jonatas L. Nogueira (“Jesusalva”)