[FFmpeg-devel] Sovereign Tech Fund

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sun Jan 28 23:34:59 EET 2024

Hi Kieran

On Sun, Jan 28, 2024 at 08:37:17PM +0000, Kieran Kunhya wrote:

> > Both work fine really. For example iam not employed by FFlabs and the work
> > i did for them is just by sending invoices, while what i do qualifies
> > maintenance probably close to 100%.
> >

> Fflabs is a private company that can choose however it likes how to
> distribute its funds.

yes, so can microsoft, google, any many others

> STF/SPI/FFmpeg are not the same.

yes, they are transparent publically funded, open, ...

> Would you like every invoice you make to be on this mailing list and
> discussed in depth in public?

If it provides entertainment to someone, honestly, i dont care much

_BUT_: Thats not implied by SPI/STF here
anyone can propose a project under a pseudonym. I belive she would
have to provide her real name to SPI & STF but not on the ML and WIKI

even with refund requests, I think some people have used pseudonyms
so if someone wants some privacy, it can be done. Maybe not 100%
against a sophisticated attacker but being employed certainly doesnt
provide that either.

> And if that invoice was voted against by the
> GA what would you do?

I would cry ;)

seriously, I have said very clearly in my first mail that there can be NO late
objections to a STF/SPI Project. objections must be before its submitted to
STF. So theres no way the GA could object to an invoice, the GA could object to
the project before its started only

I do remember this concern from you and the FFlabs CEO.
thats why i made sure that this case would not be possible. So no the GA
definitly cannot object to an invoice for a project that the GA approved
previously. That said I do not belive the GA (which is made of adult intelligent
humans) would block an invoice for a project that was previously approved.

Many things microsoft did are stupid, but not doing something just because
microsoft did it is even more stupid. If everything ms did were stupid they
would be bankrupt already.