[FFmpeg-devel] Sovereign Tech Fund

Kieran Kunhya kierank at obe.tv
Mon Jan 29 17:02:24 EET 2024

> >> [...] the GA definitly cannot object to an invoice for a project that
> the GA approved previously.
> > "The General Assembly is sovereign and legitimate for all its decisions
> regarding the FFmpeg project."
>
> When working with a contract (and a SOW), the General Assembly won't be
> able to block an invoice.
> Because the General Assembly will already have exercised its sovereignty
> before the work started.
> And unless the GA becomes a nation, any court of law would uphold the
> contract.

In this project, acceptance of a patch is based on the technical contents
of a patch, not a few vague paragraphs in a SoW. These decisions are made
by the Technical Committee and the General Assembly.

Tying the project contractually is unacceptable.

There are plenty of "corporate" open source projects where this is fine,
but there is a reason we are not one of those full of corporate friendly
code like binary blobs, intrinsics, SDKs etc.

Kieran