[FFmpeg-devel] Sovereign Tech Fund

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Mon Jan 29 21:21:55 EET 2024

Hi Derek

On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 06:37:44PM +0000, Derek Buitenhuis wrote:
> >> On 1/28/2024 3:25 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >> As others have said, the whole model of using discrete projects here seems opposed to
> >> the actual intent of the STF - maintained and stable OSS long term.
> >
> > The whole suggestion here is based on what STF and SPI said. There was a conference
> > between SPI and STF where they worked the details out.
> > Also all the things SPI told us had STF in CC.
>
> What SPI convinced STF is best is not necessarily the same.

Thats true, you are absolutely correct. But it also might be the best

Thats why one iterates. One starts somewhere, looks at what works, what doesnt
and adjusts.

> Also notably missing here is the community (as in, more than just Thilo) having
> any access to review, comment, or help direct this.

You know i wanted this on the ML months ago. Other people believed we need to
wait until everything is known to be possible ...

But now the community is here (most are being silent) but thouse not silent are heared.
And we can and will adapt to it.
If we get another chance at STF next year or even before that. We can collect all ideas
and questions on a wiki page and pass them to STF and SPI.

ATM the question is about this feb this year, we have 2 weeks for this application,
thats not much time but it is time, we can certainly adjust things even now
if there are specific suggestions.

[...]
> >> Furthermore, we *already* have a bunch of money sitting in SPI funds that *is* suitable
> >> for use on discete projects, but it never gets used. It is a poor way to encourage useful
> >> work, IMO.
> >
> > Theres a very big difference. we have around 100k USD in SPI
> >
> > STF has a lower limit of 150.000 € so we actually need to ask them for
> > at least 150k to be qualified IIUC
> > And honestly if you reject that, i just dont understand you.
> > "Estimated costs: The cost of the work described in the application must exceed €150,000 (current minimum)."
> >
> > AT no point could we have done anything with SPI money in a similar
> > magnitude. In fact trying to use SPI money for any work failed because of it
> > not being enough.
>
> I have yet to see an actual project of "this magnitude" materialize as a proposal.

you can suggest one ?
or there is nothing you want improved in FFmpeg ?
Or only if SPI isnt involved or iam not sure what exactly you want different ?

Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated
form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty. -- Plato