[FFmpeg-devel] Sovereign Tech Fund

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Tue Jan 30 20:00:32 EET 2024

Hi Rémi

On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 08:30:56AM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> Le 30 janvier 2024 00:43:39 GMT+02:00, Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc> a écrit :
> >Hi
> >
> >On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 11:01:05PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> >> Le maanantaina 29. tammikuuta 2024, 20.11.19 EET Michael Niedermayer a écrit :
[...]

> You should step down from the CC IMO because that's very unbecoming of a CC member (as are your attacks against Kieran)

If you believe i have done something wrong towards kieran, you should contact the CC about it.
I will certainly not vote on myself.

But i will also not back down from my position that
1. STF is a great oppertunity for FFmpeg, and people should
   be thankfull for the chance to get a ~200k € grant. Not fighting
2. If we dont mess it up now, we will have future opertunities
   If we act like we do ATM there maybe will not be.

> In these conditions I maintain that this process is inane and discriminatory.

Then we should work together to make it better as soon as thats practical

> Lastly the FFmpeg community should bot to be taken hostage in one person's personal feud against FFlabs and/or other companies. (This is purely hypothetical and not an accusation against anyone in particular. If you feel targeted, that's on you.)

I dont feel targeted. No
For the record, i multiple times pushed for compromises between the party
hating FFlabs and the party leading it. On one day i chatted for 6 hours with
the one not liking FFlabs to try to find a solution. I dont think i succeeded
but i tried.
So no, i do not hate FFlabs. FFlabs pays me, and iam thankfull for that.
That said, I do have disagreements related to FFlabs but that does not belong
here.
What i can say about FFlabs is that I believe SPI is the better entity to handle
FFmpeg Grants, Donations and FFmpeg funds in general.
Like anton suggested SPI could pass money on to FFlabs for individuals who want
to be working through FFlabs (or another company).
I dont see a problem there, From the point of view of STF/SPI the company is the
contractor doing the work, how teh company internally handles it is a matter within
teh company.

The misfortune of the wise is better than the prosperity of the fool.
-- Epicurus