[FFmpeg-devel] Sovereign Tech Fund

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Wed Jan 31 13:19:25 EET 2024

Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2024-01-29 22:27:07)
> Hi
>
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 09:36:27PM +0100, Vittorio Giovara wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 9:19 PM Anton Khirnov <anton at khirnov.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Quoting Vittorio Giovara (2024-01-29 21:09:42)
> > >
> > > Where do you think it should be discussed then?
> > >

> > IMO anywhere with a more limited set of constituents, such as the GA or the
> > technical committee.
>
> For the record, the group that was contacted initially by STF was everyone
> on the consulting page at the time.
>
> This probably made sense to STF as they after all wanted to fund people
> working. And that page would supposedly list everyone who was available
> to do work.
>
> From there on mainly only one person cared and continued to work on this.
> For the record, the list of people on the CC also evolved over time,
> one from STF was added, some people seemingly having no interrest disappeared
> multiple people related to SPI where added.
>
> I guess i understand why noone wanted to send this to the ML and i had to ...
>
> seriously, i dont think anyone had any bad intend here. Yes i wanted it
> on the ML long ago and others wanted to first make sure this was real and
> actually possible. This ended up being 2 weeks before the next STF meeting
> but really everyone just tried to do what they thought best for FFmpeg

Who are these 'others' (plural) you speak of? And why did they think
they have the right to unilaterally nominate themselves as community
representatives? And - since you apparently announced this against their
wishes with only a little time to spare - what did they intend to do
with the application instead? Submit it without community approval?
And why are you defending them instead of them speaking for themselves?

It is quite hard not to see this as someone's attempt to strongarm the
project into their preferred course of action.

--
Anton Khirnov