[FFmpeg-devel] Sovereign Tech Fund

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Wed Jan 31 19:58:21 EET 2024

Hi Rémi

On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 06:10:57PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
[...]
> This is further aggravated by the context that Michael brought forward the
> idea of funding developers through SPI 3 months ago (in actual Earth units).
> From your statement, I have to infer that Thilo, Michael and SPI already knew
> of the STF plan and concealed that key piece of contextual information back
> then.

Iam evil
I had talked with ronald and heared about the "sustainability" "need" and from that
made several plans. One i posted and was flamed because it sounded similar to a
talk on demuxed. (I think using the word "sustainability")
One of the other ideas was indeed STF: look:

-rw-r----- 1 michael michael  666 Okt 26 11:39 sustainability-consulting.txt
-rw-r----- 1 michael michael  666 Okt 26 11:39 sustainability-consulting.txt~
-rw-r----- 1 michael michael 2604 Dez 27 00:13 sustainability-license.txt
-rw-r----- 1 michael michael 2504 Dez 27 00:13 sustainability-license.txt~
-rw-r----- 1 michael michael  801 Nov 15 09:47 sustainability-notes2.txt
-rw-r----- 1 michael michael  801 Nov 15 09:47 sustainability-notes2.txt~
-rw-r----- 1 michael michael  319 Okt 26 11:49 sustainability-other.txt
-rw-r----- 1 michael michael  319 Okt 26 11:49 sustainability-other.txt~
-rw-r----- 1 michael michael 1828 Okt 26 13:46 sustainability-spi.txt
-rw-r----- 1 michael michael 1828 Okt 26 13:46 sustainability-spi.txt~
-rw-r----- 1 michael michael 9812 Jan 12 23:45 sustainability-stf.txt
-rw-r----- 1 michael michael 7450 Jan 12 23:45 sustainability-stf.txt~

I did intend to leave some time between posting each idea so people could reload
their guns properly but as life goes things get delayed, one is busy and
also in the STF case there was some push towards waiting
several of these ideas i still had no time to properly spell out and post

Also just because i wrote something doesnt mean these are finished, presentable
ideas

All that said, its not entirely uncommon that people publically hear of
things months after someone knew of something about it.

You can compare this to the bloomberg donation and the open collective
account that was created for ffmpeg by jb:
https://opencollective.com/ffmpeg

There was no public question before that account was created, I know because
some people where privatly upset about that.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your
right to say it. -- Voltaire