[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] clarifying the TC conflict of interest rule

Gyan Doshi ffmpeg at gyani.pro
Sat Mar 2 07:37:40 EET 2024

On 2024-03-01 11:03 pm, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> * Any member of the TC who had a strong opinion on the question raised
>    before it was raised should recuse themselves.
>
>    In particular, must recuse themselves any member of the TC who:
>    - participated in the discussion (on the ML, on IRC or elsewhere) in a
>      specific direction (minor comments and questions being acceptable);
>    - has a personal interest in the outcome;
>    - is, was recently or soon will be employed by an entity having a
>      personal interest in the outcome or has any kind of hierarchical
>      relationship with such entity.
>    Failure to do so would result, upon discovery, into the exclusion of
>    all FFmpeg governance bodies, including the general assembly, for a
>    duration of no less than five years.
>
>    Additionally, any member of the general assembly can recuse any member
>    of the TC without having to provide a reason.

I propose a narrower version for this last point as currently it has a
mix of unenforceable, broad and harsh elements.

--------
* Any member of the TC who has

   - had a major participation in the discussion or demonstrated a partisan
     disposition on the concerned issue at any public venue, or
   - a financial interest in the outcome, either directly or via current or
     anticipated employment or consideration

   is subject to recusal from participation in the TC activities related
to the
   issue under consideration. This recusal may be effected either
directly by
   the TC member, or by a vote of the Community Committee (CC) - the TC
member
   must not participate in any such vote.

   Failure by the TC member to reveal any such involvement as described
above,
   if judged intentional and material by the CC, shall result in
exclusion of
   said member from all FFmpeg governance bodies for a period of no less
than
   two years.
--------

Regards,