[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] clarifying the TC conflict of interest rule

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Mon Mar 4 01:56:02 EET 2024

On Mon, Mar 04, 2024 at 12:36:21AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 03, 2024 at 10:57:43PM +0100, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> > Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2024-03-03 03:49:33)
[...]
> > > Please add the vote options: (I belive this gives the people a more
> > > complete set of choices)
> >
> > Why do you feel you need to bestow all these options upon "the people"?
>
> The point of a vote is to find out what the people want.
> The word democracy means
> government by the people. especially : rule of the majority. : a government
> in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them
>
> For this they need to have the choice.
>
> Normally we discuss disagreements, try to find consensus and move that way
> but here you disregard this and try to push forward with a vote while
> blocking your exact own text in one of the 3 patches that your vote
> would add.
>

> I hope very much that people even if they agree with the change vote
> against it because what you do here is not how democracy should work.

I didnt word this well.
what i meant is people should vote in favor of the option
they favor (no matter what that is)

But if they are presented with a vote that tries to take away their choice
to funnel them into some other option, they should not accept this.

Alot of real world politics do exactly that
have many unrelated things stuffed in a law that then can only all be
passed or rejected together.
This shouldnt be that way in real world politcs and it also shouldnt be
done in FOSS.

Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated
form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty. -- Plato