[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] clarifying the TC conflict of interest rule

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Tue Mar 5 04:50:01 EET 2024

On Mon, Mar 04, 2024 at 10:45:02AM +0100, Vittorio Giovara wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 4, 2024 at 1:57 AM Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Mar 03, 2024 at 03:49:33AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > +If a TC member is aware of a conflict of interest with regards to the
> > case, they must announce it
> > > +and recuse themselves from the TC discussion and vote.
> >
> > please replace this in my proposal by this (as it clearer states what the
> > intend is)
> >
> > > * If a TC member is aware of being in a conflict of interest with
> > regards to the case, they must announce it
> > > and recuse themselves from the TC discussion and vote.
> >
> > (also as you can see we have active discussions here, the vote is IMHO
> >  premature)
> >

> we literally had premature voting for STF, despite multiple discussions
> taking place during the time

The STF opertunity had a deadline.
Also we can already start discussing what shall be done when the next grant
opertunity comes. I dont know if we will be accepted, so its possible
1. that if we are rejected that we will hear of that narrowly before the
next deadline.
2. there is always the chance for more opertunities, we should be ready
to know what we want next time

> I don't see how a parallel thread here should stop the proposed vote now
> please let's stop filibustering and just move on to voting

voting on what ?

With a simple yes/no vote one can maybe just vote but this is a complex
change to the committee rules about conflict of interrest, who can vote
and who not, if everyone can just flip a coin and decide or if theres
a rule to follow. If members can vote on things they themselves are
involved in, in their own disagreements they have with others.

A discussion allows people to find others points of view, and refine
their own. Its essential even if no consensus is found, dont you agree ?

Iam not blocking the vote btw, i suggested several options for it.
What i think is that a real discussion would make sense before the vote
if no such discussion happens and the vote moves forward with all options
then that will work out too i guess.

Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony.
-- Heraclitus