[FFmpeg-devel] duplicate symbol '_dec_init' in: fftools/ffmpeg_dec.o

Helmut K. C. Tessarek tessarek at evermeet.cx
Sat Mar 16 23:09:48 EET 2024

Hi,

On 2024-03-16 10:26, Christopher Degawa wrote:
> Seems the conflict comes from
> https://code.videolan.org/videolan/libbluray/-/blob/master/src/libbluray/disc/dec.c?ref_type=heads#L287
>   and
> https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/commit/c4de5778bceab3c15f1239f1f16816749a7fd3b6
>
> Perhaps you could also try asking libbluray if they could use an internal
> prefix. Otherwise you might need to do a rename of that function on
> ffmpeg's side.

Hmm, this commit in ffmpeg broke the possibility to link ffmpeg with
libbluray. Just to make this perfectly clear, before that commit it
worked without issues.

This means that nobody is able to use libbluray and ffmpeg from this
point forward. I am sorry, but this commit should be reverted.

The commit message reads: Rename dec_open to dec_init(), as it is more
descriptive of its new purpose.

Who cares about how descriptive it is as long as it works. Now it
doesn't. This was not a change to implement a feature or fix a bug, but
a simple refactor, because somebody didn't like the name.

In reality I agree with you that it might be better for libbluray to use
a prefix/namespace or whatever.  But until then, ffmpeg should still be
able to be linked with libbluray.

Is my standpoint unreasonable? If so, why?

Cheers,
   K. C.

--
regards Helmut K. C. Tessarek              KeyID 0x172380A011EF4944
Key fingerprint = 8A55 70C1 BD85 D34E ADBC 386C 1723 80A0 11EF 4944

/*
    await thee at its end.
*/