[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 7.0 blocking issues

Niklas Haas ffmpeg at haasn.xyz
Mon Mar 25 15:50:19 EET 2024

On Mon, 25 Mar 2024 07:20:56 +0100 "Jean-Baptiste Kempf" <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 25 Mar 2024, at 01:03, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Should i wait till all issues marked as blocking 7.0 on trac are fixed
> > before branching ?
>
> I think you should branch now.
> And get things fixed in the 7.0 branch.

+1

This is a big change and some breakage is inevitable. Most bugs will
probably only be found once the software is released and deployed.

When a big milestone gets bogged down by months (if not years) of
"blocking bugs", my understanding is that it will simply never get
released, and users might as well resort to using git master / nightly
builds at that point.

(Any possible allusion to *other* big open source software projects is
purely coincidental)