[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] new fate clients

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Mon Mar 25 15:57:29 EET 2024

Hi everyone

many probably already noticed i added new fate clients

there are 2 alpha, 2 parisc, 1 mips, 2 ppc, 1 risvc64, 2 s390, 2 sh4, 2 sparc, 2 x86-32 mingw, 3 x86-64 mingw

risc64 is build only because we already have real riscv64

sparc is build only because it deadlocks

parisc is build only because of:
/home/fate/ffmpeg-try/ffmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libm.so.6: cannot enable executable stack as shared object requires: Invalid argument
(maybe a newer qemu would help)

the rest should run under qemu or wine

i had to disable iconv (like in previous debian/ubuntu based qemu environments)
because while it builds, these fail at runtime and it seems gconv related files
are missing in libc packages compared to native libc packages

there are remaining fate test failures in some clients like
sh4 (Unhandled trap: 0x180 and others)
alpha some differences in filter-waveform and vc1_ilaced_twomv that is a old failure IIRC

with mips I randomly set some --cpu and --disable combination until it didnt catastrophically fail
(or i hope at least as this didnt run yet)

I think ill take a break from these fateclients now and let others tinker with these

(you should be able to try these all locally, its standard ubuntu packages for cross compilers
 and qemu and comand lines shown in the fate web interface)

if anything is configured dumbly then tell me please. Otherwise please
grab the ubuntu packages and fix the fine code yourself ;)

Awnsering whenever a program halts or runs forever is
On a turing machine, in general impossible (turings halting problem).
On any real computer, always possible as a real computer has a finite number
of states N, and will either halt in less than N cycles or never halt.