[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 7.0 blocking issues

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Mon Mar 25 23:10:40 EET 2024

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 09:20:25PM +0100, Lynne wrote:
> Mar 25, 2024, 14:50 by ffmpeg at haasn.xyz:
>
> > On Mon, 25 Mar 2024 07:20:56 +0100 "Jean-Baptiste Kempf" <jb at videolan.org> wrote:

> >> I think you should branch now.
> >> And get things fixed in the 7.0 branch.
> >>

> > +1
> >
> > This is a big change and some breakage is inevitable. Most bugs will
> > probably only be found once the software is released and deployed.
> >
> > When a big milestone gets bogged down by months (if not years) of
> > "blocking bugs", my understanding is that it will simply never get
> > released, and users might as well resort to using git master / nightly
> > builds at that point.
> >
> > (Any possible allusion to *other* big open source software projects is
> > purely coincidental)
> >

> +1, we should branch so we can unblock master from receiving

ok, ill make the branch within the next 24h probably

We do have several open security issues still though (some have patches on the ML)

I still have to check if ossfuzz is hiding any issues in unrelated tickets
(ossfuzz did that often previously and this can unveil surprises)

Also iam behind with backporting security fixes to release branches,
(this may seem unrelated but it isnt because i always try to backport
 each of my security fixes to all branches we still maintain at the same time,
 so id like to get the other branches uptodate with backports to keep backports
 in sync with a new 7.0)

All in all, iam not sure I will manage to release 7.0 in 7 days

but ill do the branch and we will see.

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
governed by those who are dumber. -- Plato