[FFmpeg-user] BOUNTY OFFERED: AAC 5.1 -> AAC Stereo

NokNok Developer developer at noknok.net
Sat Apr 30 07:05:18 CEST 2011

Bryan

I guess its a matter of how its done.  As one person has suggested in a
private email, integrating this into libavfilter, which is a larger
undertaking, but also a better solution overall.  One can also simply
implement a rudimentary channel mix which previous patches already exist
(http://muzso.hu/2009/02/25/downsampling-multichannel-audio-5.1-into-stereo-2-channels-with-ffmpeg)
, and would only need to be adapted to current code.  So, yes the range
of implementation could range from 2 hrs, to 20 hours.

I would also say, as I do not code within the ffmpeg base or libs, I
have no clue as to the task at hand, only the previous patches as
reference material.  Additionally, being an open source and community
project, the ability I am sure to resample AAC to other channel
selections would be something of a benefit to all, and not so much as a
one-off task for say just me.

I light of what of what I have seen in the code base (looking this past
week), and other, I bumped and asked for a suggestion, and while most
work is done on ffmpeg out of interest by someone (contributor), I have
specifically asked that whatever work is to be done, be acceptable to
the maintainers, as I would like this to be a benefit for everyone and
included in the normal branch.  To that end, I am not sure how many
people do offer compensation for features to ffmpeg, vs just bitching in
the mailing that something doesnt work, or when will ffmpeg support "x"
or "y".  Thru a previous discussion with another party, it was also
suggested the amount should be in $1000 area.  So again, the reason I
asked for suggestions.

You also suggest "reasonable consulting rates".  If I was looking to do
this, and and keep the patch to ourselves, etc, I would agree, we could
just about go and find any in the know consultant with ffmpeg/libav
libs, and have it done.  But part of the purpose of offering the bounty
is to both give back to the developers who have made ffmpeg a terrific
tool for many many people, as well keep it open source for everyone.
With that concept in mind, we had hoped there was someone else with the
same need, capable of doing the job, and we could come to some fair amount.

Soooooo... with all that being said...  I'll make the bounty $1000, and
if someone is interested, let me know.  If not, of course we will end up
going the other route and consult it out on freelancer or something,
which doesnt help anyone :( but our need.

Shawn