[FFmpeg-user] Multi-core transcoding (performance tuning)

Brian Cardarella bcardarella at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 19:19:37 CEST 2011

Does FFMPEG support any way to distribute the transcoding across
multiple cores? I notice that on my Intel Core i7 one of the cores is
maxed at 100% and the rest are idle. In addition, the process itself
seems to only be 20MBs. Would FFMPEG benefit from putting the entire
video in memory?

I'm very interested in any performance tuning suggestions. I don't
want to reduce the quality of the video but currently it is
transcoding at about 75fps. I feel like there is room to grow here.

- Brian