[FFmpeg-user] Using the testsrc filter in older ffmpeg versions without the lavfi device

Roger Berk rberk2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 15:46:11 CEST 2012

Hello !

The testsrc filter ( and other video source filters ) predate the inclusion
of the lavfi virtual input device.

Could someone please tell me how to create a test pattern in ffmpeg WITHOUT
using lavfi.

There must have been a way to use testsrc before lavfi was available.

My problem is that ffmpeg requires a -i (input file) parameter, and testsrc
does not need or use any input file.

Since earlier versions of ffmpeg did not have any -f lavfi option, how was
testsrc used previously ?

Thanks for any help you can offer !