[FFmpeg-user] Preserve pix_fmt, regardless of codec?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Apr 25 18:11:25 CEST 2012

Peter B. <pb <at> das-werkstatt.com> writes:

> I was wondering if it's possible to preserve whatever colorspace the
> input video has, regardless of the output video codec chosen.
>
> For example:
> I have input codec X. Some files are yuv420p and some are yuv422p.
> I'd like to transcode to codec Y, and *make sure* that the output's
> pix_fmt is preserved.
>
> Is there a way to tell ffmpeg to "keep input pix_fmt"?

Given that all colour_spaces are not supported by some encoders,
most colour_spaces are not supported by nearly all encoders, and some
colour_spaces (iirc) are only supported by raw_video (if at all):
How should that work from a user's perspective?

(And apart from that: Isn't above exactly what FFmpeg currently
tries very hard to do?)

Carl Eugen