[FFmpeg-user] Reducing seek time when start time offset (-ss) is large

Curtis Miller CMiller86 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 20:42:12 CEST 2012

This is in reply to an old thread:
http://ffmpeg-users.933282.n4.nabble.com/Reducing-seek-time-when-start-time-offset-ss-is-large-td1460307.html

I tried to post my reply through nabble but my mailing list subscription
through it doesn't seem to be working.

I'm cutting hundreds of clips from long video files and the larger the seek
time, the longer it takes to cut a clip. I can cut a clip from the start of
a video in about 0.5 seconds and it takes 18 seconds to cut the same length
clip 22 minutes in. The solution in the earlier thread was to use the copy
option for the codecs but when I use them, my video and audio is out of
sync in the resulting files.

My video clips are cut pretty precisely, for example, -ss 00:22:12.540 -t
4.32 which might have something to do with the audio sync issue when using
copy.

I've tried to cut multiple clips in an single encode but ffmpeg doesn't
accept multiple -ss values. Is there an alternative method to speed up
ffmpeg when using -ss or a way to prevent the audio and video from
unsyncing?

Thanks,
Curtis