[FFmpeg-user] Working with .YUV files

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Aug 14 16:04:32 CEST 2012

fb <fatemeh.bagherpour <at> gmail.com> writes:

> let me exactly explain my problem, I have an input stream,
> mpeg2 or h264, I want to transcode them (at least transrate).
> ffmpeg does it well, but I want to do decoding and encoding
> separately, I mean:
>
> 1) Input.ts -> output1.YUV
> 2)output1.YUV -> output2.flv and with h264 as codec.

Why?
(This has only disadvantages afaict.)

> There are several questions here :
> 1- when a player want to show a coded video (e.g h264),
> at first it should decode it, and as I understood the
> output of decoding is "raw video" (.yuv file).

To play a video, it is certainly not necessary to produce a yuv file.

> The player can't display such a file, so it would put it in a
> container. Right????

All players that are relevant on this mailing list (ffplay,
MPlayer) can play such files.

> If no, what else?
>
> 2- As I understood, we have "raw h264" files that they are
> h264 coded streams with no container (I mean mkv, flv, 264
> and ... by container).

I don't think this is correct.
The H264 standard defines a raw format (Annex B iirc), but afaict,
this is not "no container", but "h.264 (raw) container".
(Of course, this is probably just a question of interpretation.)

Please don't shout, Carl Eugen