[FFmpeg-user] FFMPEG installation on remote system

Matthew Morgan lytithwyn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 15:16:31 CET 2012

On 01/12/2012 04:19 AM, junaid baber wrote:
> Dear team,
>
> I m trying to build ffmpeg in my home directory in linux. I don't have sudo
> rights therefore, I m facing a lot of problem. Could you please suggest any
> tutorial so that I can install ffmpeg in my home directory. Actually I have
> to install this in my home directory in server.
>
> There are many users who face this problem. Your help in this regard will
> be highly appreciated.
I've installed ffmpeg in a non-default directory many times.  If you also have to install the build-dependencies in your home directory, that's a little more complicated.  If you already have all the dependencies, however, just build ffmpeg like this:

./configure [...all your configure options...] --prefix=/home/yourusername/ffmpeg/
make
sudo make install

If you need help installing the dependencies in your home directory too, I'd suggest using a slightly different method.  Just let me know and I'll post a copy of the script I used; otherwise I don't want to spam the list with a long code listing.