[FFmpeg-user] converting 1080p50 to PAL interlaced dv format

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Jan 27 00:54:00 CET 2012

Konrad Karl <kk_konrad <at> gmx.at> writes:

> finally I managed to compile latest git ffmpeg and x264 on Fedora 16
> which was a major pain because there are a lot of dependent
> packages (e.g mplayer et al)

Note that ffmpeg can (and by default is) compiled as a static binary, so no
dependencies should be hurt.
(And if MPlayer really depends on FFmpeg - which I consider hard to believe -
than your MPlayer installation is quite broken.)
This may seem different for x264, but if you compile a static x264 library (and
do not install it), you can still build without any dependency troubles at all.

[...]

> Q1: how does the ffprobe and mplayer output tell me that it is
> interlaced material?

The only way of knowing if material is interlaced or not is to visually inspect
(DVB transmissions here are marked "interlaced" even if they are progressive and
it is no problem to encode interlaced material with a "progressive-only" codec
and then claim it is progressive). A filter could do the work, but I don't think
it exists in FFmpeg / MPlayer.

Carl Eugen