[FFmpeg-user] OpenCL? What Effect Does It Have

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 5 18:29:58 CEST 2013

If I were to install a more powerful Nvidia graphics card on my
machine, and then configure and build ffmpeg with OpenCL
enabled, what effect would it have?  The main things I do
are

	* Inverse telecine, or deinterlace filters
	* Convert to a lossless format: ffvhuff, ljpeg, etc (I currently do this with mencoder, but would switch to ffmpeg if it's faster).  This takes a large amount of time.

	* Cut edits with the Select filter
	* Brightness filters
	* Encode to mpeg4.Since my files are all stored in a lossless format like ffvhuff, much of the
time is spent compressing and decompressing that format.  Would
OpenGL help withthis or any of the other steps above?   What are the
types of things that OpenCL improves in ffmpeg?