[FFmpeg-user] Probing jpg, png and tiff images without decoding frames

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Tue Aug 6 13:09:00 CEST 2013

Hi,

it seems the ffmpeg always decodes the listed types of images to
determine their properties. What I did to check this, was to run
ffmpeg -i <imagefile> as well as ffprobe -show_streams <imagefile>
with each of these formats and set a breakpoint in
avcodec_decode_video2.

This is not a problem in many cases, however when using ffmpeg,
ffprobe or its libraries to extract metadata such as codec, size and
pixel format from thousands of image files (imagine analyzing a full
SD card of Hires JPG images), the difference between header parsing
and decoding becomes very significant (especially with large images
for obvious reasons).

Is this (extracting metadata for those formats just by header parsing)
currently implemented and I am just missing a command line argument?

If not, shall I submit this as an enhancement request in trac?

Best regards,

Robert