[FFmpeg-user] Concatenation of mpg files

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Aug 23 10:41:00 CEST 2013

Francois Visagie <francois.visagie <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > ffmpeg -loop 1 -r 1 -i image.png -q:v 0 -r 29.97 -t 10 0.mpg

> Do I understand correctly that you're using ffmpeg to
> create individual mpg files from images, and then you
> want to concatenate them?

> If so, each individual file will have its own header
> information,

Program streams do not have headers.

> and the first's header information won't reflect the
> size/playing time of them all.

> Therefore a straight-forward binary concatenation of
> the mpg files won't work for most players.

I don't think this is correct (most players handle
timestamp resets well - they have to if they want
to be DVD-compatible - FFmpeg admittedly has
problems), but in any case, it is not the main
problem: -qscale 0 produces large frames and you
have to tell the mpeg muxer about this (ffmpeg
correctly warns that the output file may be
unplayable).

Carl Eugen