[FFmpeg-user] Is it possible to convert any video to DV 50 Mbps using FFMpeg ?

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 22:03:45 CEST 2014

Shyam Sundar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks Carl & Andy for the reply,
>
> I tried .. but it doesn't seem to generate 50 Mbps video-bitrate output. I
> am checking video properties in Media Info.

mediainfo is wrong.

> C:\>ffmpeg -i C:\Wildlife.wmv -f dv -target ntsc-dv -b:v 50m -
> qscale 15 -vol 256 -strict experimental -pix_fmt yuv422p "C:\Wildlife.dv"

I see there is a dv50 target, so just using that (ntsc-dv50) will also
get you 50mbit and do the conversion to 422 + scale if needed. I don't
know what if anything the qscale 15 does with dv, do you?

AIUI SD DV is an interlaced format - it may not matter that you use it
for progressive, but for whatever reason using (and I have looked now)
-target does a progressive format conversion.

> frame=  901 fps= 42 q=0.0 Lsize=  211172kB time=00:00:30.09
> bitrate=57486.5kbits

Correct time and bitrate

> Video Properties in Media Info :
> General
> Complete name                    : C:\Wildlife.dv
> Format                                   : DV
> Commercial name                : DVCPRO
> File size                                 : 206 MiB
> Duration                                 : 1mn 0s

wrong time leading to

> Overall bit rate mode            : Constant
> Overall bit rate                       : 28.8 Mbps

wrong bitrate.