[FFmpeg-user] Help Getting a higher quality windows-style format from an MP4

Bob Maple bobm-ffmpeg at burner.com
Sat Jul 5 05:46:02 CEST 2014

On 7/4/2014 9:29 PM, Luke Davis wrote:

> I have a need to play an MP4 file on some very big screens, from a
> rather flaky Windows computer.
>
> I am trying to convert the MP4 into something that doesn't require
> quicktime (I.E. more windows friendly).

FWIW if you're on Windows 7+, Windows Media player should be able to
play the MP4 just fine.

Otherwise I'd suggest just getting VLC and using that for playback
rather than recompressing and already highly compressed stream.

Having said all that, you can try Windows Media:

  ffmpeg -i Input.mp4 -codec:v wmv2 -q:v 5 -an Output.wmv

You can decrease the file size/quality by increasing the -q:v value, and
-an wipes out the audio.