[FFmpeg-user] Windows Media Player cannot play the file

James Darnley james.darnley at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 11:39:58 CET 2014

On 2014-03-10 04:33, Spencer Graves wrote:
> On 3/9/2014 7:35 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 12:44 AM, Spencer Graves
>> <spencer.graves at prodsyse.com> wrote:
>>> No pixel format specified, yuv444p for H.264 encoding chosen.
>>> Use -pix_fmt yuv420p for compatibility with outdated media players.
>> Perhaps this should be in bigger letters?
>

> Hi, Tom:  Thanks for the reply.  What "should be put in bigger
> letters?"  How can I do that?  Thanks, Spencer

This is what he means.  Read it!

>>> No pixel format specified, yuv444p for H.264 encoding chosen.
>>> Use -pix_fmt yuv420p for compatibility with outdated media players.

As for uploading to youtube, just make the highest quality file.  They
will re-encode it anyway.  But if you are aiming to produce a file that
will play on any basic Windows installation you will want to read this:
http://ffmpeg.org/faq.html#Which-codecs-are-supported-by-Windows_003f