[FFmpeg-user] MKV to MP4

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Dec 2 01:37:04 CET 2015

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 22:39:36 +0000, Jack Tucker wrote:
> I then drop a MKV on the bat file which then copies the file, but windows say it has an issue with codec.Error: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

Ah, so you have an issue with windows, not with ffmpeg. ;-) (Actually
Windows Media Player.)

WMP has quite a few restrictions as to what it can play back, one of
them is pixel formats. Your file has yuv420p10le, which is quite
special (being 10 bits depth per channel). My guess would be that WMP
can't handle this material (nor the more common yuv444p or such, if you
happen to run across them).

Try transcoding instead of copying one of those files, and specifying
"-pix_fmt yuv420p" (if ffmpeg doesn't do that for you, e.g. because it
wasn't compiled to handle 10 bit H.264). If that works in WMP, you have
no choice but to recode those offending files with this option (and
to continue to copy those where it happens to work).

Cheers,
Moritz