[FFmpeg-user] Converting a cassette audio tape (Lecture) to mp3

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 19:44:48 CEST 2015

On 07/12/2015 11:35 AM, Moritz Barsnick wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 11:26:58 -0600, jd1008 wrote:
>> I am running fedora 20 with
> Which is EOL. I just updated to F22 myself today. :-)

I am loath to updating because I really do not feel the need to.
So far, I have 3rd party apps that I built (with some necessary mods)
on f20. I do not wish to go through all the rigmarole again on f22 or
the impending f23.

>> I need a set of steps/commands to convert this tape.
> Is it already digitized?
>
> If so:
> $ ffmpeg -i audiofile -c:a libmp3lame audiofile.mp3
> and adjust your audio settings as you need them (channel count,
> quality, ...)
No, it is not digitized yet.
>> I have  plenty of audio tools installed - but not certain what
>> else I might need.
> If you need to digitize your audio tape first, you need to tell us
> about your available hardware (though this list is not really for
> that). You will probably need to check out ffmpeg's "pulse" or "alsa"
> indevs for capturing.
I have a good (I will not say high) sony tape player with
stereo audio out (1/4 inch stereo port).
My laptop is the Dell E6510 with Intel i5 2.67GHz quad,
and 8GB ram and oodles of swap (embarrassingly 32GB :)  )
On the laptop, I have the stereo audio in and audio out.
I also have the necessary cable.