[FFmpeg-user] maintaining full swing when encoding in 10 bit (want to preserve all values from 0-1023)

Marwan Daar marwan.daar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 17:05:58 CET 2015

On 11/11/2015 10:18 AM, Andy Furniss wrote:

> Possibly because it did work but every video player by default will
> assume limited range for yuv so stretch and not display anything
> above/below the video levels. It will also be pot luck whether by
> default you will get to see 10 bit 444 or whether the player ends up
> converting it to 8 bit 420.

I'm using media player classic with madVR. It's configured for 10 bit
output and full range. More importantly, when I view the png file using
madVR, it renders perfectly (full range, and in 10 bit), which leads me
to believe the issue is with the encoded mp4 file, rather than the madVR
playback. I could be missing something critical here, though. Perhaps
the decoding requirements for a png and an mp4 file are dissociated in
such a way that 10 bit playback is respected for one but not the other.
I really don't know. I'll look into imagemagic and see if I can get any
more information.

> FWIW using your 1.png I can convert to full range yuv44410le and back to
> png and the result is very similar to the master (=+1 on the values as
> shown by imagemagic display).

That's very encouraging! Did you use Zeranoe's 10 bit build to do this?

p.s. I haven't been able to figure out what "le" vs "be" refers to (e.g.
yuv44410le). Do you know what it means?

-Marwan