[FFmpeg-user] -f mkv cannot be used, why?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Feb 17 13:21:51 CET 2016

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 12:29:59 +0100, Christoph Gerstbauer wrote:
> why does FFmpeg me not allow to use the -f mkv syntax when generating an
> mkv?

Short answer: In ffmpeg terms, the format is called "matroska". Try "-f
matroska".

Long answer: I too was confused a few times initially, and I assume
other users will be, like you. I tried to see whether format names
could be "aliased" within ffmpeg, but failed to get it correct
quickly[*]. Otherwise, I would have submitted a patch.

Moritz

[*] The aliases I define are apparently coded into matroska_doctypes,
ffprobe on the resulting file gives:
[matroska,webm @ 0xa108180] Unknown EBML doctype 'matroska,mkv'