[FFmpeg-user] MPEG-2 video, m2v1 (?) vs mp2v

Jason C jason.cipriani at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 14:49:05 CET 2016

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 8:35 AM, Jason C <jason.cipriani at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am wondering if I should file a bug report about the MOV output. Open
> questions in that vein, though, are:
> - What is the "correct" FourCC? mp2v seems like a more reasonable choice
> than m2v1.
> - Is it a bug that mpg2 and mpgv cause MOV output to fail or is that
> correct behavior?

Also this hypothetical bug report would include similar behavior with
mpeg1video in MOV: By default it uses "m1v1", which is unplayable, but
"-vtag mp1v" seems to produce usable output. The other output formats
tested are fine by default, with the AVI using "mpg1". Encoding fails
similarly with "-vtag mp1v -f mov" and "-vtag mpg1 -f mov". It's basically
the same issue but with 1's instead of 2's. Same open questions.

Jason