[FFmpeg-user] Shrinking video files

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Mon Apr 3 14:52:18 EEST 2017

On Monday  3 Apr 2017 12:42 CEST, Nicolas George wrote:

> Le quartidi 14 germinal, an CCXXV, Cecil Westerhof a écrit :
>> Is there a way to decrease the size significantly, that does not
>> take to much time and still keeps a good quality?
>
> If there was, we would all be using it.
>
> Video encoding is always a compromise between output size, output
> quality and encoding time, with a few other considerations like
> compatibility on top of that to make things harder.
>
> You cannot hope to increase one of the threes without sacrificing
> one of the others or both.
>
> Sometimes, it can be done just by using a better encoder, but x264
> is pretty much top of the line.

Well, there are always optimums. As in my other reply: with the advice
from Chronek I got a smaller file, that was generated a lot faster,
without a quality loss that I was aware of.

I was hoping to get a few good rule of thumbs from the people that are
experienced with doing this stuff. ;-)

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer