[FFmpeg-user] Starting additional ffmpeg process will raise CPU usage of all process of ffmpeg

ffmpeg at me.com ffmpeg at me.com
Wed Oct 4 13:01:16 EEST 2017

Hi everyone,

I have a strange behavior I do not understand.

1) I'm running a transcoding process on my CentOS server with ffmpeg. Everything smooth and fine. Process of ffmpeg takes 85% CPU. Great.
2) staring a second transcoding process on the same machine with ffmpeg (even same settings, different output folder), the first process takes surprisingly about 150% CPU (previously used 85%!!) and the second uses also around 150% CPU too.
3) staring a third encoding process (again everything like the first 2, just other output) all ffmpeg processes take around 190% CPU

Why does this happen? Why doesn't take any of the three processes around 85% CPU?

Thanks,
Fox