[FFmpeg-user] Dolby E decoder

Cley Faye cleyfaye at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 14:48:05 EEST 2017

> > > ffmpeg -i - -c:a copy -f u24le - | \
>

> > > The Dolby-E is 24bit, not 8.
> >
> > Doesn't matter, your example will not work, try it.
>
> Why doesn't it matter?

​When you copy a stream as-is, copying each byte individually or grouping
them by 3 doesn't matter. The "copy"​ codec simply pass the bytes making up
the stream without interpretation. Since all streams are made of bytes (at
least when put in a file), -c copy -f u8 will always work, whatever the
actual stream might be.

​This is just about the copy codec; why the remainder fail I have no idea.​