[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg output list question

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 13:01:24 EET 2019

On 12/16/2019 05:46 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Am Mo., 16. Dez. 2019 um 09:03 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
>> I knew that ffmpeg encoders output solely frames, but I assumed that,
>
> I may misunderstand but this is at least misleading, could be considered
> wrong.
>
>> when an interlaced container was encountered, ffmpeg decoders (hence
>> HandBrake) worked with fields.
>
> The FFmpeg infrastructure cannot work with fields which is the reason that
> interlaced encodings of hevc and jpeg2000 are not supported correctly.

If I correctly interpret what you write regarding "misleading", what
about this?

Source -> Decode (rawvideo) -> process pictures (or "frames" if you
prefer) -> Encode -> Target file.

HandBrake doesn't have any way to package Targets as interlaced fields
and I was led to believe that it was because ffmpeg always outputs
frames. Is that not correct?