[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg 32 bit or 64 bit

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Wed May 1 18:58:26 EEST 2019

Am Mi., 1. Mai 2019 um 14:07 Uhr schrieb Moritz Barsnick <barsnick at gmx.net>:

> On Wed, May 01, 2019 at 17:24:45 +0545, Remo Rayamajhi wrote:
> > Well i have installed 64 bit of Os but someone told me even I compile from
> > compilation guide I would get 32 bit of ffmpeg ..that's why I asked

Only if "gcc" defaults to a compiler for 32 bit which is possible
but unlikely. Iirc, gcc -v tells you.

> That's most likely nonsense. While it's not impossible, you'd have to
> jump though quite a few hoops to get a 32 bit ffmpeg on a "standard"
> system.

The "hoop" would be to do:
$ ./configure --cc='gcc -m32'

Note that it is possible to install a compiler that defaults to i686 on an
x86_64 system as default compiler, it is unusual though.

Carl Eugen