[FFmpeg-user] framerate issues

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu May 30 20:30:23 EEST 2019

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 10:03:35 -0500, Calvin Arndt wrote:
> ffmpeg -y -loglevel 8 -i http://10.17.24.6/mjpg/video.mjpg -filter:v
> fps=fps=7 -b 1536k -filter:v scale=720:480 /DVR/Tower/05-30_09-40.avi
[...]
> I specified 7fps yet ffprobe displays 25fps. I think the actual
> encoding process is only encoding 7fps because playback is time
> compressed.

No, 25 fps is chosen because you are misusing the command line
parameters. "-vf" or "-filter:v" is allowed only once on the command
line.

If you don't have any particular reason to stick to 2.8.5, please do
use the git HEAD version. In its default log level, it should have told
you (log message):

> Only '-vf scale=720:480' read, ignoring remaining -vf options: Use ',' to separate filters

Instead you need to do:
[...] -vf fps=fps=7,scale=720:480

> I know from previous experience that removing the -loglevel 8 will
> get everything back to normal. Something is deeply askew here!

Please show us the results of your conversion both with and without
"-loglevel 8".

> By the way this report applies to both head and this old version.

Please use head to report issues. Nobody cares about debugging a three
year (or ten month, if you will) old version. ;-)

Cheers,
Moritz