[FFmpeg-user] Loading shared libraries in macOS

Aleksid beautyofnorth at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 18:01:54 EEST 2020

> why in the world don't you then just use "--enable-static" to avoid the
> shared libraries when they are supposed to be in the same folder and
> bundle anyways?

Hi Harald,

I need to link FFmpeg the shared libraries in my app and also use ffmpeg
executable. Both programs should link dylibs. So impossible to use static
linking.

Well, I can copy FFmpeg dylibs to /usr/local/bin. But FFmpeg version 4.1,
4.2, 4.3 use the same file names, for example libavcodec.58.dylib. What
should I do if  /usr/local/bin already contains dylibs with these file
names? How can I guess about version 4.1, 4.2 or 4.3? If another program
will rewrite these dylibs, and I'll get an older version of FFmpeg libs?
It's another kind of dylib hell.