[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg and x264 licenses

Tobias Rapp t.rapp at noa-archive.com
Mon Nov 15 15:50:53 EET 2021

On 15/11/2021 11:30, LianCheng Tan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I write my software that call FFmpeg executable during runtime, will there be any license issue if this software is for commercial use?

The information available at https://ffmpeg.org/legal.html should get
you started.

> Also, if this software uses libx264 for encoding, any license issue with x264?

x264 is available under GNU GPL terms (not to be confused with GNU LGPL)
or under commercial license, see
https://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html . Note that when x264 is
combined with FFmpeg this makes FFmpeg also fall under GNU GPL, which in
turn might have an effect on your application, depending on the way you
"use" it with your software.

For more info lookup the keywords "combined work" in GNU GPL and the GPL
FAQ.

Regards,
Tobias