[FFmpeg-user] How to use ffmpeg to detect commercials

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 10:45:43 EEST 2021

I am recording news streams off of the Internet using an automated system during
my nights so I can view them at daytime in my time zone. This works OK but...

Is there a way to have ffmpeg detect where in the video commercials start and
end?
One item that is different between the program and the commercial is that in the
program there is a logo at a fixed position on screen (MSNBC, CNN or the like).

Can ffmpeg be set up to detect the start and end of scenes containing this logo
and produce a clip text file with the start and duration of these video
sections?
Or better yet make an output video only containing the scenes with the logo?

Or is there a different working way to do this?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden