[FFmpeg-user] FFMPEG loudnorm - linear normalization

Clayton Macleod cherrytwist at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 18:55:14 EET 2022

On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 3:15 AM CMG DiGiTaL <cmarciog at gmail.com> wrote:

> is
> it compromising the audio to achieve what
>      I defined as a target?

You cannot increase the volume of a file that is already near/at full scale
without compromising it no matter what tool you are using.  If adjusted
linearly it will introduce clipping in all locations where the data is
pushed beyond full scale.  In order to avoid clipping you will need to
compress/limit it.  Clipping and compression both compromise the audio.
Usually you want to avoid clipping at all costs.  Whether or not
compression is an acceptable compromise is up to you.  If we were talking
about a music library my earlier advice would likely be more desirable,
finding out all the required adjustments in advance and then selecting a
target that only results in *lowering* the volume so that peaks are left
alone and all operations are linear.  If we are talking about videos of
some kind then compression may not be an issue and may be an acceptable
solution.  Or movies, perhaps not an issue either.

--
Clayton Macleod
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of