[FFmpeg-user] Media streaming these days

Gonzalo Garramuño ggarra13 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 16:26:58 EEST 2023

Hello, and thank you in advance.

I am using the libav* libraries and looking to add streaming media
(video and audio) to my application and wanted to learn what protocol
may be the best one these days, and how the ffmpeg application works
with it first, etc.

Basically, my application would be used as both the server and the
client listening to two TCP ports (one for sending commands --like color
or UI changes-- and one for streaming the media).

My application is an open source BSD application so any codec and
protocol should be LGPL not GPL nor private.

I am interested in: delivering video at high resolutions (2K to 4K),
with potential seeking forwards and backwards and ideally with adaptive
bit rate.  Security of the video is not my main concern, but if the
protocol uses some encryption, the better.

 From my limited research I found out about HLS, but it seems mostly a
web format and I am unsure how the .m3u8 and .ts files would be
delivered without a web page.  Also seeking seemed not to work very well
with it (at least with ffplay).

Whatever protocol, I would like to test it with ffmpeg and ffplay first,
so if I could see some example commands, I would be very much obliged.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

--
Gonzalo Garramuño
ggarra13 at gmail.com