[FFmpeg-user] How do you use Ffmpeg to give unique title/track names (%02d) using -metadata to a split .mp3 file?

Ferdi Scholten ferdi at sttc-nlp.nl
Tue Aug 29 19:52:59 EEST 2023

I'll take a look at your suggestions, thanks.
> However I disagree that ffmpeg isn't the correct tool. It allows
> read/write access to the metadata. I can add track titles to the
> files, just not unique ones, automatically.
>
> Something seems amiss.
To my knowledge ffmpeg alone is not capable of it. It only accepts
literal strings for metada. (as you already found out)
You could do it all with ffmpeg and scripting, It would require some
serious scripting skills to do it in one ffmpeg run. The easy option is
to run ffmpeg twice, first to create the files, then (with some easy
scripting based on filenames) again to set the desired tags by the
variables of your script. A dedicated tag editor can also be used for
the second run and would be both easier and faster.