[FFmpeg-user] Which file formats can hold image subtitles (dvdsub) without other streams

Mark Filipak markfilipak.imdb at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 21:26:57 EET 2023

On 12/4/23 13:18, bbb wrote:
> Thanks Mark,
>
> as Nicolas already pointed out, I was wrong about the mkv format. I see you are using it for just a
> subtitle stream too in the first step.
>
> Though my problem is already solved with that, what you wrote looks very interesting. You are able
> to convert image subtitles to text?

Indeed. It has removed my dependency on opensubtitles.org -- really messed up, low quality, soon to
put up a paywall -- for HDMV PGS subtitles.

> I really should check out SubtitleEdit and that MKV toolkit too.

SubtitleEdit can grab subtitles directly from M2TS files but it makes mistakes whereas I've found
that taking the time to make a sub-only MKS, and then have mkvextract make IDX & SUB files to submit
to SubtitleEdit is reliable.

PS: You will need the following after SubtitleEdit has made an SRT subtitle file.

set NAME=
set SOURCE=
set SRT=
set ARGS=-map 0:v -map 0:a -map 1 -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:s mov_text -dn
set TARGET=
ffmpeg -i "%SOURCE%" -i "%SRT%" %ARGS% "%TARGET%"