[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg default processing(invisible processing)

Erik Dobberkau erik.dobberkau at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 10:43:44 EET 2023

> I understand that RDD-9 is necessary, but even after reading the article, I
> don't know where RDD-9 is.

RDD 9 is Sony's Registered Disclosure Document for the XDCAM file format
[1].
You can download the document from IEEExplore [2] if you have an account
(e.g. via a SMPTE membership, probably also via a ABU or JBA membership).

My latest (and probably outdated) information is that ffmpeg's MPEG2
encoder / MXF wrapper does not (yet, and for understandable reasons)
provide an option to reorder the B-frames as specifically required by RDD 9
(Closed GOP / Open GOP), and that's what a Sony hardware player marks as an
error.
The only (super easy to use) option that I know of to make the required
modifications is to run the file generated by ffmpeg through bmxtranswrap
[3][4].
The command is rather simple: bmxtranswrap -o /path/to/output_file.mxf -t
rdd9  /path/to/input_file_from_ffmpeg.mxf

(IIRC, I could write the bmx output file to XDCAM disc via a PDW U1/U2, and
play it back on a PDW F1600.)

But maybe there are other (free) alternatives available today that I'm not
aware of.

Erik

[1] https://www.smpte.org/standards/document-index/rdd#listing
[2] https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7290306