[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg list FAQ- for those who can't click a link

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Sun Feb 5 10:36:39 EET 2023

 Hi Dan and all.
Much as I agree with most of what you've said, I've never once seen anyone enforce any rules on this mailing list - it's possibly happening without public announcement, but there's certainly no sign of it. I've been a member here for more than a decade and I still have no idea who actually runs this thing (who is ffmpeg-user-owner at ffmpeg.org?).
Regardless, the sad reality is that if the code of conduct were enforced at all, several of the most regular posters would risk being barred.
This is the sort of thing which gives the open-source community its reputation for being so brutally user-hostile. This is a technical mailing list concerning probably one of the most important pieces of media handling software in the world and it is characterised by nothing more than casual, reactionary, and completely unnecessary personal unpleasantness. Yes, someone should do something about it, but it's been like this for a very long time and there's absolutely no sign of anything changing.