[FFmpeg-user] Determine Reason for "error: Error while decoding stream #0:X: Invalid data found when processing input"

Ferdi Scholten ferdi at sttc-nlp.nl
Fri Jul 7 00:26:32 EEST 2023

On 06-07-2023 21:19, Er Win wrote:
> Sorry, I thought that was obvious and this is just one example. Some do not have the mp3 header missing output
>
> ffmpeg.exe -hide_banner -v error -i "%$filepath%" -f null -
> [mp3float @ OFFSET] Header missing
> Error while decoding stream #0:1: Invalid data found when processing input

One example is when converting DVD media like * .VOB files, you will get
this error if you did not specify what to do with the data stream (non
video/audio data) that is part of the file (for example logic to create
on screen menu's etc) several media containers can contain data streams
that are not decodable as audio or video and you need to let ffmpeg know
what to do with it. They will trigger the error warning and ffmpeg then
usually ignores them and continues with what it can decode/transcode.