[FFmpeg-user] Creating a Simulated HLS Streaming Server with FFmpeg...HOW??

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Sun Jul 30 06:32:39 EEST 2023

On 7/29/2023 11:08 AM, Norm Kaiser wrote:
> Good point, gentlemen. Here is ffmpeg command I'm using:

It's always helpful to post the complete command output to see what's going
on, please run one of the full commands from a shell and post that. Also,
please do not top-post on this mailing list.

However....
On 7/28/2023 9:31 PM, Norm Kaiser wrote:
> In other words, call FFmpeg to stream the first video. Let's call it
> video1.mp4. When it's done, call FFmpeg again to stream video2.mp4, and
> so on.
Done encoding or done playing/streaming?

> I'm using HLS and I've signaled FFMpeg to append to the playlist, which
> it appears to be doing correctly. But for some reason, the media player
> (either VLC or MPV) will not play the whole stream. It just plays the
> first file and then stops playing, even though FFmpeg is dutifully
> generating new .TS segment files and updating the M3U8 playlist
> accordingly.

I see two possibilities right off-
First is that the second video is added to the playlist -after- the first
has completed (and the player stops because it's hit the end of the list).

Second is that the player only reads the playlist at start and never sees
that it's been appended to.

You could easily test this manually by pre-encoding the videos and
hand-editing the playlist at different points in the timeline.

What's the timeline of when entries are made on the play list, when videos
start and stop, and when they're encoded?

Later,

z!